Wednesday 27 July 2011

Pounds and Euros and Exchange Rates, Oh My!

May. 6th, 2011 | 01:42 pm

Well, it's official. I have money in the game now. With each little step, this trip gets closer to finding reality. We exchanged our money yesterday and I just have to say, the exchange rate is AWFUL. We lost $200 on $500 for the pound and a little less on the Euro. Ouch. I figured with our stonger dollar we would make out okay, but apparently, we should have been exchanging it in the winter months since you get less in the summer (thanks to tourism) 

We made one attempt to switch some money in the winter, but we didn't have enough saved at that point to justify holding money for six months and the girl told us "it doesn't fluxuate that much." Boy was she wrong. I really hate wasting money like that, and I'm a little ticked that nobody I know said anything. Our travel agent is a family friend who remained mum, I have friends that travel who never said "Hey, it's worth tying some money up now to get the the most for it." <sigh> I guess I just have to sell a few more tickets to make up for it. It's been slow on that front lately. It goes in waves, and I'm on a down-wave right now, clearly, someone didn't get my "I just lost my shirt on exchange" memo. Oh well, easy come, easy go.

On the plus side, I'm out of here soon and thanks to some carefully produced videos by Princess Cruises, the scottish hillside is calling my name!

No comments:

Post a Comment