Wednesday 27 July 2011

Let Freedom Ring...

Apr. 7th, 2011 | 02:13 am
mood: good good

So, LiveJournal has become a bit of a fickle mistress. It seems the site has become a target for those against free speech. A friend tells me the issue started when some Russian dissidents decided to post some entries detailing their struggles with the current government. I honestly don’t know how true it all is, but it definitely seems like a targeted attack as the site’s pages flicker in and out of cyberspace on what seems like an hourly basis.

It’s funny, I’ve only been doing this blogging thing for a couple of weeks and already I feel as if someone is yanking a favourite new toy from my grasp. It’s odd really; I didn’t expect to like all of this “sharing” as much as I do. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I CAN do it. I am lucky enough to live in a democratic country that allows me to write whatever I want, even if some people (or many) don’t like it. It is an absolute privilege and one I strive to appreciate. So, if this is the Russian government trying to block the voices of it’s people, I can only hope that one day her citizens can enjoy the freedom that many of us employ on a daily basis. What would our lives be without thoughts, without words, without hope? It’s my greatest wish never to find out.

(Apologies for the different font, I wrote this in Word and copied it in, I'm actually thinking the larger font is easier on the eyes, I might have to go with the larger font for all entries because apparently, my eyes are old and tired:-P)


No comments:

Post a Comment