Wednesday 27 July 2011

Billy Elliot

Apr. 22nd, 2011 | 02:00 am
mood: curious curious

I'm off to see Billy Elliot later today. I haven't seen the movie in years. I thought I might re-watch it before going, but changed my mind, thinking on some level, I'd like a bit of "surprise" factor while watching the live performance.

I had originally remembered Billy taking irish dancing lessons. I have no clue where that memory came from because the film came out well before the "Riverdance" craze. I pictured little Billy clogging all over the stage until I saw the commercials and ballet moves reigned supreme. Opps!
I'm not much of a ballet person with the exception of "The Nutcracker" every few years as a holiday treat. (Even then, I am astounded by the different variations in the telling of the story, some I've loved, others are long forgotten, filed under "three hours of my life I'll never get back.")

I hope we enjoy it. I'm counting on Elton John's musical talents to carry me through and re-tell this poignant story in his own unique way. He has long said that when he saw the play in London, it moved him beyond words yet made him incredibly sad, reminding him of his own neglected childhood.It sounds like he really poured his heart into the project and went all out to put a lasting mark on the final product.

If the reviews are any indication, this performance won't go down in the "waste of my time" category, but will instead find itself firmly entrenched in the "glad I won these tickets, might actually pay to see it again," category. The only other musical to have that honour? Jersey Boys.

Come on Billy, dance your way into my heart.

ETA: Billy was awesome. Huge role for a ten year old to carry, but he did it beautifully. Very gritty, in the same vein as the movie. Some incredible dance numbers, including one with young Billy/Older Billy as he dreams about his potential future. Don't want to say more than that, for fear of spoiling it for those that might find themselves wanting to go.


No comments:

Post a Comment