Wednesday 27 July 2011

Consumer Voices Unite...

May. 19th, 2011 | 02:09 am

If you think you don't have a strong consumer voice, think again. In the last month I've launched several product/services complaints and as of today, I've gotten positive responses in each circumstance.

Issue One: I've mentioned this one in a past entry, and have since received sucessful follow-up from the company. The rubbermaid jug that was leaking despite an "air-tight" lid, ten dollar coupon delivered in the mail two weeks ago, enough to replace the "obselete" jug.

Secret "clinical" deodorant-- laugh if you must, but I paid a whapping $14.99 for this product on a recent cross-border shopping trip. I got it home and the "clicking" dial at the base of the product wouldn't work, rendering the "Secret" useless. Here's a secret for you, I wasn't going to put up with wasting that kind of money so after relaying my difficulties to a customer representive, cue coupon arrival number two. I won't even critize the cashier who took twenty minutes to figure out how to run the coupon through her machine. Actually, there was two of them working the desk, leaving me to ask how many dimwits does it take to properly scan a coupon? Answer, two.

Mom and I made a treck down to the waterfront to see our beloved swans (see earlier entry) There is a Tim Hortons close by that we have been avoiding for a year. Their coffee is bitter and often cold so we swore them off. Until last week when we were both jonsing for a caffeine fix. Yes, we caved and as anticipated, the coffee was horrid. I swore up and down I was finally going to report the location to head office. I did, and received a call three days later saying they were going to send out the district manager  to conduct an inspection of the location, as well as a thorough review of their quality control. A five dollar coupon for Timmy's arrived today. Not going to set me up for life, but that wasn't the point.

Food Basics, a local discount grocery store, refused to accept a website coupon. This, despite being told that I didn't print off the coupon, it was sent from a coupon service that was offering the savings directly through the manufacturer. My forty-nine cent mustard went back up to $1.49 and I walked out, vowing never to bother with the store again. I lodged a complaint via their website and got a call three days later with an apology and assurances that the store mangers would be told that they were to accept all coupons printed by manufacturers. No gain there. I still swore the store off because plenty of other locations will take my coupons without the fuss.

And finally...

My credit card company pre-approved me for a credit card, then proceeded to reject me after keeping me on hold for half an hour. I was furious. I have a spotless credit history, and was looking for a small limit, strictly for the purposes of taking the card to Europe. (My current card has no security chip and I know that several of the merchants now require a chip and a pin code.) I've had credit since I was twenty years old, and been with this bank since the ripe old age of twelve, so I couldn't even wrap my brain around that kind of rejection. Have no fear, my letter writing skills are here...

Let's just say after a scathing email to a customer representive, Canada Trust changed their tune in a hurry. One humble apology later, I was told that they had made an error in assessing my account, and my new credit card was in the mail, complete with a five thousand dollar limit.

Think your thoughts, feelings and input don't make a difference? Think again. Every voice counts,so don't be afraid to let yourself be heard. It's a new day and companies are well aware of the power of the internet and the power of a few carefully choosen words. A happy customer is a repeat customer, a frustrated one, a potential public relations nightmare as they relate their experiences to friends, family, and the strangers on the bus.

Word of mouth is more valuable than any other form of advertising.  So go ahead, talk about that great new mop, or that awful new drink, you might be surprised to discover that more than a few people are actually listening.


No comments:

Post a Comment