Tuesday 17 January 2012

An ice rink kind of day...

It isn't often that I ENJOY winter in Ontario, but the last couple of days have featured a warm winter sun coupled with just below freezing temps making it ideal for the kids to skate on various rinks around the city. One such place is a cool coffee pub down by the water that has a little skating surface out back for the kids to test their legs on. (In the summer it doubles as a roller blade rink.) It's so fun watching out the window as kids take their first tenative strides across the ice. The joy on their little faces when they realize that they are actually moving is priceless. It's a new day. The kids think nothing of using little "walkers" to help them out as they learn the ice ropes They push little square frames out in front of them, making them look like miniature 80 year olds. Cutest thing EVER.

I must admit, I get jealous. I always wanted to play woman's ice hockey and I know that I would have learned to skate at a young age but my feet/angles wouldn't allow it. I tried it a few times during school field trips and it was a colassal FAIL. Not enough support in the ankles meant my feet were turning over in the boot, making it impossible to walk, never mind skate.

Alas this was never me...



nor was this...



Oh well, I shall have to be content with the memories of my sister pulling me around the ice in a sled while she did the skating, not a bad way to go either:-)


No comments:

Post a Comment