Monday 22 August 2011

At the Copa, Copacabana...

I'm a closet Barry Manilow fan. There I said it. I've always liked him, and admired both his writing talents and his ability to compose a piece to get the most out of a good orchestra. A couple of weeks ago, I tried to win tickets through a radio station and it was a running joke between Mom and I. I told her that if I won, she was coming with me as punishment for whatever she had done to me that week. :-) To be fair, she doesn't hate Barry, he's just not number one on her "must see" list. She dutifully tried to help me win the tickets, but I don't think she was too heartbroken when it was a no-go.

So, this morning I get a call. Initially, I think it's someone calling about picking up the info/tickets for our Quebec trip. Nope. It's another station calling to tell me I just won Barry tickets thanks to an online draw I entered sometime last week. For a second, just a second, I was TOTALLY excited, then it hit me; the concert is Wednesday night. Mom works late, it's supposed to rain (with potential thunderstorms) it's in Toronto (an hour away) and oh yeah, it's outside. A bad combination all around. I have to tell you, I'm so disappointed. Manilow under the stars would have been the perfect topper to an already really good summer. I mean, great music, a full-piece orchestra, a talented guy (who loves to laugh at himself) and some decent company, does it get any better?

Instead, I've put the tickets up for sale. It breaks my heart a little, but I just don't see it happening. I doubt I'll even get a buyer this late, and it's a real shame because the weather is going to wash out some great sound. Maybe they'll push forward and do it anyway, but I can't ask Mom to drive that far after a full day of work to sit in the rain.

I'm sorry Barry! Next time you come to Canada, you can totally take me to the Copa, Copacabana because I'm a total show girl!:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment