Sunday 20 November 2011

Summer Journey


http://www.princess.com/find/itineraryDetails.do?voyageCode=7217&trade=E

Our 8 day Scotland/Ireland Cruise. Same Cruise line as last summer (boooo) Smaller ship (Yay! I think :-))

Here's the link to the small studio we are renting during or 3 day London stay, pre-cruise.

http://www.airbnb.com/rooms/102565

Looks like a cute little place, and the owner is an artist/illustrator formerly from Boston. Central to everything, and I have to say, I'm excited about the pre-olympic/opening day hype.. Yes, I'm worried about the crowds, but you only live once, and this will be my only chance to soak up the charged olympic atmosphere. I'm sure the locals will be getting out of dodge while the rest of us clamour for London 2012 paraphernalia, true to our tourist roots.

Accomodation number two:

http://www.airbnb.com/rooms/132572

This one makes me think of going off to Grandma's cottage for the summer. Of course, my grandmother never had a cottage but if she did, this would be it! I mean seriously, how cute is this place? And the name..."Primrose Cottage." so English!

Anyway, it's in a small seaside town called Deal and we are staying for five days after we get back from London. Deal is about half an hour from Dover (I think) which is the port where the cruise sails from. Though small, Deal looks like it has both charm and elegance. A Saturday market, a restaurant complete with a sliding glass roof for summer dining under the stars, and a great habour view. Though I would love to stay in London longer, I know that Mom will welcome the slower pace that this location is known for. It's also just a twenty-eight mile ferry ride across the Straight of Dover to a small French town called Calais. We'll see about visiting and we might fit Brussels in there too since it isn't far off. It all depends on the cost/ease of travel.

http://www.deal.gov.uk/Contents/Text/Index.asp?SiteId=328&SiteExtra=17174243&TopNavId=707&
NavSideId=13503


http://www.calais.com/

As I said, Dover is nearby, best known for :it's white cliffs and Dover Castle. We'll see if we make it there to explore or if it will just be a means to an end as far as getting on the ship.  A friend tells me the castle is worth a tour, but the rest may not be, we'll see how it goes..

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/properties/dover-castle/great-tower/

All of this will be followed by the cruise of Scotland/Ireland. I truly am disappointed to be going on one of the Princess Cruises again, I wish I could try another, but the price is reasonable and they are one of the few with access to Scotland. There are others, but they are more expensive and frankly, I got tired of reading reviews that said "Frank and Betty just got back from their fifteenth cruise with XYZ and it was just FABULOUS and for number sixteen (in three months) they are going to Bora Bora with Feefee and Fiddo". I'll say this for Princess, their passengers aren't snobs (and the one guy who was at our dinner table, was met with eye rolls and shakes of the head. (and he was the only one that didn't notice) You know who I'm talking about. :-)

That's it for now, it's early in the planning stages yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment