Wednesday 9 November 2011

Radio: Sometimes it can make fools of us all...

It occurs to me that I haven't shared any good "winning" radio stories on here lately. Here's a little gem for you that happened just this morning. Now, I must first clarify that this particular radio station (am 740 in Toronto) is known as "zoomer" radio. I pulled up a definition for those of you who may not know what a "zoomer" is...

Zoomers are boomers who have acquired the ability to live a longer, healthier, adventurous life.

So, in other words, they're old people:-) I have to tell you, they are the FUNNIEST contestants on radio shows ever. They make no apologizes and just plunge right in, no matter how silly it might make them look but sometimes, it's obvious that they just DON'T THINK. I don't know if it's their age, or their nervousness about being "live" on the radio, but I seriously need to start recording this stuff and selling a blooper tape.

Take this morning for example...

I had the phone ringing but they weren't picking up. For this particular station, that means you are the "back up" contestant and you just have to wait patiently, let it ring, and hope the person in front of you gets the multiple choice question wrong so you can swoop in and take the prize. (Did I say that? I meant feel really bad for the person as they get it wrong and you thank your lucky stars that they eliminated the answer that YOU were going to blurt out if you got on ahead of them.)

Today's Category : This is your Life...

Today's Question: What well-known star walked off the set of "This is your Life" in 1993 feeling embarrassed and humiliated?

A) Carol Burnett

B) Angie Dickinson

or

C) (Often the joke answer) Lassie

So, can we guess which one the lady in front of me chose? No, really, she did, apparently, it was no "joke" to her.

I figure in her mind the exchange went something like this

(Howls mournfully)

"That is so NOT TRUE, the kid on the show had it out for me from day one, there was a reason it was called Lassie you know, I was the cutest thing going, and THIS is how they repay me?"

(Barks uncontrollably and starts bearing her teeth )

"I should have taken a bite out of all of you when I had the chance!"

****runs offstage before anyone can put a leash around her neck***

Cue Elton John music "The bitch is back." :-)

Yes, she really said it.

The announcers tried to cover their amusement by saying "oh that would have been very rude of her" but you know during the next commercial break they were having a field day, it was all I could do not to laugh out loud as I was giving them MY answer. (Angie Dickinson) which I figured had to be right since Carol Burnett actually has a sense of humour.

Sadly, this scenario isn't uncommon. Stay tuned. Next year I might just sell the tapes as Christmas stocking stuffers!

I found this little pic and thought it was appropriate for this morning...



or maybe she was just burning the candle at both ends...





No comments:

Post a Comment