Sunday 23 September 2012

Oxford Street--London

I'm going to put this little blurb here since I don't want to add on to the dreadfully long London post...

Believe it or not, things got quiet as we got back to our place. Mom went down to the waterfront on her own to see how busy it was, and it was dead. People were either in the pubs watching the opening ceremonies (likely) or at home with a big old bowl of popcorn. I was so disappointed by the fact that I didn't get to see the olympic torch when it was on the London Bridge, I mean we were right there! There were no listings of times/no hint that anything was even happening I was watching the tv saying "Hey, that's five minutes from here, give me the torch!" lol

We thought the opening ceremonies were pretty ho-hum but the next day heading to Oxford Street, we asked around, and the Brits seemed to enjoy it. A woman on the bus said it highlighted British history so wasn't surprised if most wouldn't "get it." She wasn't being uppity about it, just explaining why we might have been a little disappointed.

The newspapers raved about it the next day, so I'm glad that most seemed to get where they had been going with it all. I must say though, the sourpuss face on the queen really didn't help them out! :-)




Heading to Oxford street the next day...

So many stores/sites so little time...so incredibly busy and fun to watch...think busy New York (Of course I'm just guessing haven't made it there yet)





IMG_3728IMG_3729



IMG_3732

IMG_3733

IMG_3737

IMG_3741

Love these dars with the ads--my favourite was a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup car that was orange with the Peanut Butter Cup splashed across the doors, they just never sat still long enough!

IMG_3745

Love seeing these guys on the street

IMG_3746

IMG_3750

IMG_3752

Getting ready to head out of London...Boooooo!

Thanks London for the great memories. We want to go back just to finish what we started. Would love to see a play, FINALLY see ALL of the changing of the guard, go to Herrod's....Still so much to do. Such excitement/beauty with a kind of old fashioned charm. Miss you London, hope to see you again soon!

1 comment:

  1. I generally find opening ceremonies underwhelming. Very well thought out, full of flash and bang, lovely sets, innovative, but at the end of it all just sort of like "so what?"

    ReplyDelete