Monday 18 June 2012

Surprise Beach Day

This past Saturday Mom surprised me, picking me up and taking me to the beach that we both love so much. (Port Dover) She had originally just talked about MAYBE going for a drive, so this was a real treat. We grabbed our Timmy's Coffee Mugs, hit the local market for some apple cider donuts (surprise number two---sooooo good) and headed out.

What a beautiful drive. Blue sky full of billowy clouds, cows grazing in green pastures, horses eyeing us from their pens, everyone out in full force to enjoy our first REAL summer day.

The beach was teaming with swimmers, CRAZINESS. I had checked the water temps before we left and Lake Erie (where we were) was a whooping 63 degrees. Mom walked in, swearing it was like soup but I think it was just in the shallow parts because one girl came out shivering/blue and said it was freezing. Good to know I wasn't missing much!

I walked from the car to the beach in my bare feet. We got a great parking spot so I made the attempt and managed not to scrape my feet to shreds. Those of you who can go barefoot every day are sooo lucky. Normally, with any kind of distance, my foot would drag, scraping my toes until they were a bloody mess. I just kept reminding myself to pick my feet up and did okay, but man, the sand was HOT.

We hit the restaurant on the beach for supper (another treat, I hadn't been in years) It was really good and we played "eye spy" watching what dishes other people choose and just how much they ate. (Wow--we had a window seat and watched one couple scarf down about six dishes, including mussels, hello big bill!) Lucky for us, they didn't catch us watching them as our convo went something like this. "Did you see how he just shoved that roll in? OMG, here comes more food...Can you believe it?" LOL Hope they enjoyed, and kudos to the boyfriend for not batting an eye as he picked up the cheque. :-)

No room for ice-cream, but believe me I wanted to find room. Does anything taste as delicious as that first scoop of summer ice-cream? Hello, peanut butter chocolate..next time!

All in all, a great day!

Thanks Mom for making an ordinary day something to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment