Monday 5 December 2011

When is extreme couponing just too extreme?

I've watched the "Extreme Couponing" series on TLC from the get-go and I must admit, at first glance I was impressed. As a self-proclaimed radio prize junkie, I can appreciate the value of free or at the very least, low-cost. But how far is too far when it comes to coupons? Do you have a right to monopolize a cashier for three hours, or keep others waiting in line behind you? I ask because on the season finale of the show, one savy couponer kept the store open for an extra two hours PAST CLOSING TIME in the name of saving money and the worst part is, I never once heard a thank-you come out of her mouth. Now, maybe she said it off-camera, I'm not naive enough to believe that nothing on the show finds it's way to the cutting room floor, but it would have been nice if they at least TRIED to showcase this woman expressing some genuine gratitude. Instead, when they finally closed the circus down and asked her to finish up and leave the store we heard. "I'm really disappointed that I didn't get to finish my shopping." Seriously. She planned on purchasing over $4000 in products (at a fraction of the cost) and "only ended up" with $1300. This after spending the entire day at the store. She crashed the register (thanks to so many coupons) and they had to split things up and re-do a bunch of the transactions in smaller groups in order to ensure that the computer didn't run out of "line-space." (the computer can only accept so many coupons in one transaction before it will just freeze up.)

Staff spent HOURS re-configuring the transaction so that she could pay them pennies on the dollar. Pretty darn nice if you ask me. My guess is, none of those people ever want to see her pulling into their parking lot again.

This kind of couponing would never happen in Canada. We just can't/don't do it. Minimum wage in Canada varies, but I can tell you that in Ontario it's $10.25 per hour. So, if a cashier is part-time they will make at least that much and the majority of the full-time workers are unionized so will make more.We do have store cards that will offer discounts once you build up certain point levels but the stores will NEVER double your coupons. Not only do most coupons clearly say ONE per customer, no cashier that I know will ever do separate transactions to help you save.

I order a few coupons from a couple of sites online, but nothing worth talking about. I may be able to save $5 on a $100 order but that's the extent of any "deals." I love that some stores in the U.S. are now offering the opportunity to download savings DIRECTLY on to your store cards, saving the time/hassle of paper.

So, for all you bargain hunters out there,  enjoy your discounts; and when that cashier offers to scan all of those tiny pieces of paper, give her a smile and say thank you, I'm sure it would be appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment