Sunday 29 April 2012

Touched by my non-existent webcam

Okay, are any of you watchng the new series "Touch" with Kiefer Sutherland? Keifer's character (Martin) struggles to connect with his non-verbal autistic son (Jake). The boy can see/understand complicated numbers/patterns and how it relates to those around him. (ie how the number 5 relates to everyone in that episode who is destined to 'touch" in their everyday lives, and how ones person's actions will cause a reaction through the chain of events.) Cause and effect.

Jake struggles to get his message across through various mediums, leaving single dad Martin to muddle through, even as the state is determined to take Jake from him. (Don't get me started on how easy it was for officials to swoop in and place the boy in a "centre for evaluation".)

I'm not a huge Kiefer fan, but I'm enjoying him in this, and the writing is brilliant. Those of you who miss Joan of Arcadia, will likely get a kick of of this show for it's "cosmic" connections, very similiar to Joan's.

Now, why does this make me think of my webcam you ask?

Because, in the latest episode of "Touch," a girl tries to track a guy down via a "video" blog. It got me thinking that I might like to throw a few vids on here, just to make it a little more interactive. Imagine my shock when I discovered that the webcam on my new netbook doesn't work. It says "device not present" even though I can see it's there.

When I looked the issue up, I discovered that it's a common problem with the acer netbooks, and I'm not alone in my frustration. I'm not going to bother sending it back, it's just not worth the hassle over a webcam, but I will tell you, I would never buy acer again. My Mom has already had two major crashes on hers, and she had to fight to get the repair covered despite a one year warranty. When will these companies learn that customer service is crucial when trying to sell your brand? They're just lucky that I'm not big into sticking my face on the net, for friends, or anyone else.

So, I shall have to "touch" you all in other ways. :-)

1 comment:

  1. Yikes about the Acers.

    I watched the first few episodes of Touch. Love Kiefer so I had to try it out. Really liked the pilot, but didn't care for the next couple, got bored and quit watching. It's an interesting concept, but I don't find it nearly as layered as JoA. Granted, I quit watching Touch, but the episodes I saw were a bit too formulaic.

    ReplyDelete