Friday 17 August 2012

My apologies...

I apologize for taking so long getting the trip journal started, I've felt like I've had a huge hangover for the last week. I'm having trouble adjusting to life at home again (not sleeping well) and have been feeling just blahhhh...

Anyway, on to better topics...

Here we are sitting at the airport pre-flight. It may not seem like much, but thirty minutes earlier, I almost took a header on the "people mover" that Mom insisted I try to walk on WITH the wheelchair. I started walking (forgeting that I was supposed to let the machine do the work) and literally walked into the chair and started to bounce off of it so that my legs were sliding underneath the chair, as I was losing my grip on the handles. I was literally pulling the chair backwards on top of myself. Fortunately, a man saw what was happening, came up behind me and pulled me upright before I hit the ground. I never saw him but I heard "I've got you, you're doing great, let's keep going..."

For those of you that don't know what a "people mover" is, think Jetsons. It's like an escalator but instead of gliding upwards on stairs, you glide horizontally across the floor. It saves a lot of time/energy as you travel to gates that are across huge expanses of airport terrain. Not recommended for wheelchairs though!

Oh, the huge piece of plastic Mom is holding is wrap for my wheelchair during the plane ride. They literally wheel you up to the plane in your own chair, then wrap it up and throw it into the belly of the plane two seconds before you get on. I kept thinking they would forget to put it in, so kept eyeballing it even as I was getting on the plane. I think it's so silly to make people carry around this huge plastic crap. Like Mom didn't have enough to carry with two large suitcases and a carry on bag.


Yes, another Starbucks!


No comments:

Post a Comment